Monday, July 25, 2011

Have rosaries jumped onto the trends bandwagon?

Before I get started, let's make sure we're on the same page. A fashion statement is described as a piece of clothing or an accessory that expresses attitude or lifestyle. In other words, something unique that will likely draw attention to the person wearing it. Right?


Lately, rosaries have fallen into this category.


In case you're wondering... yes, I am talking about a combination of beads and a cross used to count prayers. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to take away from people who are truly religious and wear it for the right reasons. If you dedicate yourself to your beliefs and take the time out of your day to follow them, then you get full respect from me. However, if your lifestyle doesn't allow for you to practice your religion but you wear this religious symbol, you should have no problem describing its purpose and what it represents—at the least.


So, here's the question. Is wearing a rosary as a fashion statement crossing the line? If you don't have an answer, I can help. Keep reading.


Maybe this has become so popular because celebrities like Justin Bieber, Rihanna and David Beckham are sporting the look. Wait a second, isn't Victoria Bekcham a fashion designer? I haven't seen any of these fashionistas at Sunday morning mass, but then again, I don't go very often... nor do I wear a rosary.


Let's look at another perspective. According to USA Today, some schools across the states are suspending students wearing rosaries for gang-related behaviour. The school officials were told by police to look for the whole "package", which means violent behaviour, gangster clothing, rosaries, etc. Personally, I don't see how you could ever classify a rosary as a gang symbol.


At this point, the stimulus could be not only defying authority, but defying religion. If you go against everything that is considered normal or accepted, it must give you some sort of thug reputation or scary image. That's as close as I can get to a rational theory when it comes to gang members wearing religious jewelry.


The new millennium has introduced so many questionable styles, whether it's Lady Gaga's controversial outfits, the bowl haircut from Bieber, the overall jersey shore look or the rosary as a fashion statement. These all root from people with strong influence on the general public, or at least from someone who sits somewhere in Hollywood's spotlight. I guess it's a personal decision to choose which trend to follow, if any, but I just don't see the point for most of them.


This leads to another question. If making a statement is about taking it up a notch, what comes after the rosary?


After considering each aspect, I can honestly admit that I haven't gotten very far. I still don't know why anyone would wear a rosary other than for religious reasons. Most of the individuals I've seen wearing them don't seem to be famous actors or singers, nor do they seem like they're part of MS-13 or the bloods. Hopefully one of the real celebrities or gang members will read this and send me a quick tweet or an email.


No comments: